Thursday, February 18, 2010

Battery Park City Introduction

My first assignment was to begin researching statistics and data on my neighborhood and to take a walking tour through it, to get a feel for what it has to offer. Below is my memo to my editor about my early findings, half way through completing the research and after taking the walking tour. As a memo it is informal, yet informative and readable. It shows why I chose BPC and reveals a few things I can sink my teeth into as I continue reporting the neighborhood. Enjoy!


I have Battery Park City as my beat. It's in Community Board 1 and NYPD 1st precinct. I chose this area because it's become one of my favorite parts of the city over my years at NYU. I often run on the Hudson and enjoy heading south into the park areas of Battery Park City. The trees, lawn, and water help fulfill my "outdoorsy" need while in the city. I wanted to learn more about the neighborhood because, since I'm usually running there, I don't know what happens there, I don't know what makes it tick.

What I've learned so far is that, besides perhaps Battery Park itself, there aren't really audio guides. I bought a nifty thing of 50 walking guides for NYC. Battery Park and BPC were number 1 and Ground Zero was number 3, I did both because I'm considering opening up the eastern boundary to Broadway. Ground Zero, especially becuase of the World Financial Center, the Winter Garden, and the water taxi, that whole area is part of the ethos of BPC. I also would like to stretch it out because I've been assigned to a school on Broadway near Battery Park for America Reads. But the walking guide I bought was nice and I'm excited to use the other guides for the rest of the city.

Battery Park itself has the highest concentration of memorials in the city; including a WWII and Korean War Memorial. Castle Clinton is a visitor center for the National Park System. People can leave for Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty from Battery Park, tickets are available at the castle which is an old fort that was not much used militarily but has long been a city landmark.

I always figured that BPC was a community with money but I didn't know before looking at the demographics that the average income is higher than 100k. I also never realized that it is so predominately white because during the day and in the public places there are all kinds of people in the parks. I also thought it would have more people under 18 because of all the family friendly things around it, especially the park system. It is one of the few places in the city that I personally would want to raise a family. There are some interesting things happening with green buildings and NYC's first gold LEED certified school will open in Fall 2010. Naturally, given it's proximity to the Financial District, the largest employement field is in finance and related industries. Almost everyone in the neighborhood has graduated high school and 3/4 have graduated college.

All in all, it seems like an interesting community that will become much more interesting as the days become warmer. There is also a lot of history in and on the borders of Battery Park and Battery Park City. I'm hoping that my America Reads placement in a nearby school will help provide depth to my knowledge of the neighborhood and I'm excited to dive in and discover more.

No comments:

Post a Comment