Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My First Big Idea

For my entrepreneurial journalism class, I will be creating a business plan for an online company. Our final project will be presenting our plan to venture capitalists and many of our assignments will be based on coming up with, researching, or putting together our plan. Even though it isn't secret, I'll be using the tag "secret project" to keep track of my ideas and such. Note that all written content (and much of the photographic content) on this blog is my own, and so will be my ideas for the project.

My first "big" idea came to me either while falling asleep last night or waking up this morning. Luckily, I didn't forget it as I do most things that I think of at either of those times. It would be a website promoting volunteerism and active citizenship for all ages. It would use Facebook connect as its log-in (like Jibe) and using the users Facebook profile and groups, each users page would work as a hub presenting various service opportunities within that users interests, networks, and groups. It would also track service via a simple interface that would allow users to submit it and then potentially compete against other users on an individual, group, or network basis.

The name I remember thinking of was DoDoneDid. You could find something to do, get it done, and then input that you did it.

It could make money via corporate sponsors who want to up their social justice score by sponsoring volunteer opportunities and helping people find out about them. Non-Profits could also do sponsorships to help find volunteers for their organization.

I need to do some searching to discover whether a site encompassing these ideas already exists. Even if one does, it might not be effective or it might not have a proper business plan. I also need to figure out if Facebook connect would actually give the site access to the sort of things I thought of.

No comments:

Post a Comment